A CHEF STEPH Recipe
Stephanie Hersh's Version Of Julia's Chocolate Cake
2 tsp instant espresso coffee
1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup semi-sweet baking chocolate
3 ounces unsweetened (bitter) chocolate
4 ounces unsalted butter
4 large eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 TBS granulated sugar
3/4 cup cornstarch
1. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans. Preheat oven to 350°
2. In a sauce pan, combine coffee, water, chocolates, and butter. Place pan over low heat to slowly melt the ingredients. Stir constantly while it is heating so that it does not burn. When completely melted remove from heat.
3. Separate eggs. Whip egg whites with 2 TBS sugar. Whip for 3 to 4 minutes, until medium-stiff peaks form. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, beat yolks for two minutes. Gradually add 2/3 cup sugar to beating egg yolks. When all the sugar is added, continue beating for 2 more minutes.
5. Add the salt and the melted chocolate mixture to the yolks. Add the cornstarch. Beat together until well incorporated. Set aside.
6. Fold 1/3 of the whipped whites into the chocolate mixture. Then carefully fold remaining whites into chocolate mixture -- do not over mix or you will loose the air! Turn batter into prepared cake pans. Bake 350°F degrees for 15 minutes. Cakes will rise to top of pans and are done when the center shakes a little but the edges do not move.
7. Let cake cool before decorating and serving. (Cover with powdered sugar or with chocolate ganache.
Stephanie Hersh (805) 568-0017
P.O. Box 5594, Santa Barbara, CA 95150