A CHEF STEPH Recipe
1 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup water 1 cup egg whites
1. Slowly heat sugar and water in a small sauce pan.
2. Meanwhile, whip the egg whites to soft peak.
3. When sugar has reached soft ball stage, pour it into the whipping whites. Continue whipping until' cool --about 15 minutes.
4. Fill a pastry bag with the meringue, and pipe shapes onto aluminum foil. Bake at 300°F degrees for one hour or until dry.
5. Let cool before filling. They can be stored in an air-tight container for several days before filling.
To make Italian Meringue Butter cream:
1. Use the recipe above, but increase the amount of sugar to 2 cups. 2. When step three is complete, and the whipped meringue is cool, whip in 11/4 pounds (5 sticks) unsalted butter. 3. Flavor as desired. This will make enough frosting to fill, frost, and decorate a 10" cake.
Stephanie Hersh (805) 568-0017
P.O. Box 5594, Santa Barbara, CA 95150